SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
Call (814) 255-6781
Meet Ian Katz, MD
- Total Joint Reconstruction including Total and Partial Knee Replacement Surgery
- Hip and Shoulder Replacement surgery
- Sports Medicine – Knee Arthroscopy, ACL Ligament Reconstruction, Arthroscopic Shoulder Repair
- Conditions of the Hand
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Conditions
“I try to understand the needs and goals of my patients. When I see patients, I approach their care with the same level of personal attention as I would in seeking my own care. I would want my problem taken care of as quickly as possible – with effective, appropriate treatments and outstanding results.”
- Dr. Katz was born and raised in Montreal, Canada. He graduated from internationally respected McGill University where he earned his Doctor of Medicine Degree, with honors, in 1984. He moved to Toronto and served a one year Surgical Internship at Mount Sinai Hospital. He then completed a five year residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at The University of Toronto, world renowned for training outstanding Canadian and American orthopaedic surgeons. He also completed a fellowship in arthroscopic surgery and total joint reconstruction at Toronto East General and Orthopaedic Hospital.
- Dr. Katz began his orthopaedic practice in Toronto in 1991 and joined Western Pennsylvania Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine in 1993. He serves as Treasurer and Secretary of its corporate board and on several committees at DLP Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center. From 2002-2005 Dr. Katz served of Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery at UPMC-Lee Hospital. He currently maintains privileges at DLP Conemaugh, Windber and Miner’s Hospitals.
- In 2007, Dr. Katz earned Sub-Specialty Certification in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine from the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, the first orthopaedic surgeon in the area to do so. Dr. Katz has been an Oral Examiner for the ABOS for more than a decade.
- As part of his interest in sports medicine, Dr. Katz has served as the Orthopaedic Team Physician for the ECHL Johnstown Chiefs hockey team, and for the St. Francis University Red Flash. He is an orthopaedic consultant to the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown (UPJ) and covers several local high school sports teams. He has participated in the Johnstown YMCA 5k, 10k, half marathon and triathlon, and served as the race director one year.
- In his free time, Dr. Katz likes to travel with his family, read, cycle, exercise and ski. He is involved with several local charitable organizations.
Board Certified: American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Subspecialty Certified: Orthopedic Sports Medicine
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Fellowship: Arthroscopic Surgery and Adult Reconstruction, Toronto East General and Orthopedic Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Residency: Orthopedic Surgery, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Internship: University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Medical School: Doctorate of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
DCS: Diploma of Science, Pure & Applied Science Program, Vanier College, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Leadership Positions: Former Chief of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center-Lee Hospital, Johnstown, PA
Oral Examiner: American Board of Orthopedic Surgery (Examines other orthopedic surgeons to assess their qualifications to become board-certified)
- American Association of Orthopedic Surgery (AAOS)
- Eastern Orthopedic Association
- Pennsylvania Orthopedic Society
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery (ABOS)
- Team physician for several area high schools
- Orthopedic consultant to the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
- Board member for several local charities
- Former team physician for St. Francis University in Loretto, PA
- Former Medical Director for the annual Johnstown-YMCA Triathlon
- Former orthopedic team physician for the ECHL Johnstown Chiefs hockey team
- Former Board member Greater Johnstown YMCA
Call (814) 255-6781 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Katz or request an appointment online now.